Weavers crowned Inner London Football League Veterans League Premier Division winter champions
- Credit: Archant
A brace from Arshadur Rahman put Weavers on course for a 3-0 victory which sealed the title on a rain soaked evening at Mabley Green
Weavers followed up their recent Sonali Othith Masters triumph by being crowned The Veterans League Premier Division winter champions in the Inner London Football League.
The title was in the balance as the final fixtures were played on a treacherously rain soaked evening at Mabley Green with second placed London Tigers hoping for a slip up from the champions elect.
A Weavers draw or loss against Beaumont Masters and a win for Tigers against relegated SYA would have seen Mesba Ahmed’s team retain their title.
Weavers were in no mood to allow the rain torrents to dampen their party and duly hammered Beaumont 3-0 with a brace from Arshadur Rahman and a stunner from Paolo Augusto.
You may also want to watch:
London Tigers won 1-0 in their fixture but Weavers emphatic victory ensured the title headed to Whitechapel.
Club captain Atiqur Rahman broke his arm in late 2016 and has shown immense bravery and dedication to lead his team to unprecedented heights.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
He said: “We are a team which concentrates on doing the simple things well. We don’t have many flair players, but as a unit we are very strong and we have shown tremendous drive and character to come top in a very competitive Premier Division.”
Joint-manager Shirajul Islam added: “This is another milestone for our club and we are pretty ecstatic at the moment. Thank you to everyone who believed in us.”
Weavers can still clinch the double when they play London Tigers in the final of the Veterans League Cup.
Weavers FC: Atiqur Rahman, Arshadur Rahman, Abdul Monaf, Abdul Hakim, Rubel Hussain, Richie, Murshed, Paulo Augusto, Vasile, Russel Rahman, Jamal Uddin, Abdul Mukith, Jahed Uddin, Akil Miah, Syrazul Islam.