Weavers FC crowned Masters champions for second time
- Credit: Archant
Weavers Football Club have been crowned Sonali Othith Masters champions for the second time.
The Whitechapel based team went unbeaten all day and got past a number of teams in the group stages to reach the last eight.
They then made it past both Docklands and Bromley to make it to the final.
A goalless stalemate against Workhouse FC in the final led to a penalty shootout, with Paolo Da Graca driving home the winning spot-kick to seal it 3-2 for Weavers.
Weavers player manager Atiqur Rahman said: "This is the second time we have become champions with an unbeaten record.
You may also want to watch:
"I would like to thank the players, supporters and management for playing a huge role here today. We are beyond proud."
Sonali Othith Chairman Jamal Uddin also said: "This is truly a showpiece event in the UK football calendar for not only the football but also the way it involves the community."
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council