West Ham Olympic Stadium hopes take a blow
David Sullivan and David Gold's plans to move West Ham to the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games have taken a massive blow after Olympic Minister Tessa Jowell announced the stadium would be used for athletics
David Sullivan and David Gold's plans to move West Ham to the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games have taken a massive blow after Olympic Minister Tessa Jowell announced the stadium would be used for athletics.
The new owners had targeted a move to the 80,000 seater arena to help improve the club's finances, but news that the running track will be staying could end their interest.
"It will be a grand prix athletics stadium," Jowell said.
"We have made that commitment, that was one of the reasons that we bid to win the Games and so that is a given."
You may also want to watch:
In their first press conference after taking over the club the duo said they would make a bid for West Ham to move in to the venue, if the athletics track could be removed when matches took place.
"There may be a way we could lay the running track for three months or something," Sullivan said.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
"I don't think running tracks work, particularly behind the goal. The customers are so far back it doesn't work."
Jowell however has been critical of the duo.
"I don't think you can jump from a press conference where the new owners sit down and say we'd like to move to the Olympic Stadium to how it might work," she said.