Whitelock delighted as Bethnal Green complete late turnaround against Barking
Greens fight back from 2-0 down to run out 3-2 winners
Bethnal Green United boss Kirk Whitelock was thrilled with his team’s spirit as they overturned a 2-0 deficit to run out 3-2 winners against Barking at Mile End Stadium last week.
The Greens found themselves blown away by the visitors in the first half, but three goals in the last 11 minutes turned the game on its head, much to the delight of Whitelock.
“It is without doubt the biggest win of our season,” he said.
“We were 2-0 down at half time and it really was men against boys.
You may also want to watch:
“Barking played some good football and were worth their lead.
“However, in the second half we grew up and showed what we are capable of.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
The Greens scored their first goal through new signing Ryan Jenkins on 79 minutes, before drawing level with a Kadir Jama penalty two minutes later.
And a dramatic turnaround was complete when Daryl Wilson scored the winning goal, lifting Whitelock’s men up to eighth in the table.
“We are just four points away from fourth place and that is our target,” said the Greens boss.
“We are unbeaten in three games and we want to keep this little run going.
“The club has been in a period of transition since the change of manager but we are now starting to see what can be achieved with hard work.
“The work ethic in the club is so strong and we proved that with the win last week.”
This Saturday, Bethnal Green host Hullbridge Sports at Mile End Stadium, with kick-off at 3pm.