Zola keen to praise West Ham players
West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola had nothing but praise for his side and refused to take the plaudits for the Hammers comeback against Arsenal at the Boleyn Ground on Sunday
West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola had nothing but praise for his side and refused to take the plaudits for the Hammers comeback against Arsenal at the Boleyn Ground on Sunday.
The East End club were 2-0 down at the break, but fought back to earn a point through a Carlton Cole header and Alessandro Diamanti's penalty.
"I don't want to take any credit for that, it was down to the players," Zola beamed.
"What we said to each other was that we must fight until the end, that is what we are here for, we do give everything and at the end of the game we see what happens.
You may also want to watch:
"And that is what happened, we went there, we never gave up, the subs gave us something extra and we made it happen. This is the story of life, whatever difficulties you are going through, you fight until the end."
It was a battling performance, but Zola was keen to point out that it was not just guts that earned them a point.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
"We have the quality. I'm sure this team has the quality and we now just need a bit more confidence because right now it is not great because of our position," he said.
"Every time we make a mistake, the opposition score, which doesn't help. We need to fight, fight, fight and then we will see at the end.
"Trust me, it was difficult to come back from this situation and they did it brilliantly. I am very pleased and proud of them.
"We will get spirit from today and we have skills in the team and so starting today, hopefully we can continue with that.