Zola praise for defender Ilunga
Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola has hailed Herita Ilunga as one of the Premier League's leading left-backs
Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola has hailed Herita Ilunga as one of the Premier League's leading left-backs after the defender kept West Ham's FA Cup dream alive with a crucial late goal last weekend.
In-form Ilunga headed his second goal for the club seven minutes from time to salvage a replay in last weekend's fifth-round meeting with Middlesbrough at Upton Park.
The Congo ace is due to join the Hammers on a permanent basis when his loan from Toulouse expires at the end of the season after the club agreed terms on a long-term deal with the defender last month.
And Zola admits he is delighted to that the full-back has opted to remain at the club following a successful debut campaign at Upton Park.
You may also want to watch:
"He has signed a contract for four-and-half years so he will be with us for a long time," Zola said. "I don't think there are many left-backs playing as well he is."
The Italian also praised new signing Savio Nsereko, whose precise free-kick set up Ilunga's crucial equaliser.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
"I see he has good qualities but he needs time to settle," Zola said.
"He has been playing in a second division team in Italy and you can't even imagine
the difference in speed from Serie B. The best is yet to come from him.