Lions in seventh heaven
- Credit: Julianne Bonner
National League Div 2: Chelmsford 5 Lee Valley 7
Lee Valley Lions began 2014 with a roar as they upset high-flying Chelmsford on their own ice last night.
The east London outfit had ended last year with a 4-3 win at Peterborough and climbed higher up the National League Division Two table with another success at the Riverside Ice Arena against the Warriors.
They fell behind inside three minutes as Thomas Wilson netted for the hosts and it was 2-0 with barely nine minutes on the clock when Courtney Grant beat Aaron Mallet.
But Joseph Berry began the Lions fightback and Nick Alley squared matters before the first break.
You may also want to watch:
Theo Abban put Lions 3-2 up early in the middle period, before Gary Brown got Chelmsford back on level terms.
And James Hatfull restored Lee Valley’s lead only for Sean Easton to make it 4-4 heading into the final stanza.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
Romanas Fedotovas put Lions ahead just 28 seconds into the third period, but Wilson replied for Warriors to keep the match in the balance.
Assistant captain Richard Hodge put Lee Valley in front for the fourth time on the night at 48:18, though, and they would not relinquish their lead this time, as Abban added an insurance marker with less than two minutes left on the clock.
Lions return to Lee Valley to host the Invicta Mustangs on Saturday (January 11, 5.15pm).
Scorers, Chelmsford: Wilson 2 Brown 1+2 Grant 1 Easton 1 Woodford 0+3 Staples 0+1.
Lee Valley: Abban 2 Hodge 1+2 Fedotovas 1+1 Alley 1+1 Hatfull 1+1 Berry 1 Peach 0+2 Hepburn 0+2 Cave 0+1 Gosling 0+1 Ball 0+1.
Shots on goal: Adam Long (Chelmsford) 33 Aaron Mallet (Lee Valley) 36.
Penalty minutes: Chelmsford 4 Lee Valley 4.