Lions lose derby thriller
- Credit: Archant
National League Div 2SE: Lee Valley 5 Haringey 6
Former Lion Romanas Fedotovas returned to Lee Valley to send his old club to late defeat in the London derby last night.
Lions, following a 13-0 defeat at Chelmsford in their opening league fixture of the season a week earlier, fought back from 4-1 down to draw level with the Racers in the final period.
But hopes of a point were shattered as Fedotovas netted a late winner for the visitors.
Rob Jenner had opened the scoring for Haringey with the only goal of the first period and Mark Saunders doubled their advantage early in the middle session.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides were hit by penalties before Lions opened their account, but Racers took control early in the final session as Mason Webster and Robbie Veares scored to put them 4-1 up.
Lee Valley rallied with two goals in quick succession, forcing Racers to call a timeout to settle their nerves.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
But it did not work as the home side got themselves back on level terms with less than seven minutes remaining.
Ricky Mills put Racers 5-4 up, before Lions squared matters again with around five minutes left on the clock.
But Fedotovas had the final say with the decisive strike and Racers held on in a tense finnale to claim the local bragging rights.
Lions return to action next Saturday (October 25) with a trip to Invicta Mustangs.