London 2012 organisers release test events programme
TEST events ahead of the 2012 Olympics will begin from this year as the countdown to the Games continues.
An international modern pentathlon event will be partly held in Greenwich Park on July 9 and 10 – the first time the park has staged show jumping.
It will be an important landmark in the build-up to the 2012 Olympics, when the historic park will host equestrian events.
Olympic organisers have confirmed a number of ‘test’ events for this year, including BMX at the new Olympic Park track and beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade.
Gymnastics will be held at the North Greenwich Arena (usually The O2) in January, with the first athletics action in the Olympic Stadium in May 2012.
You may also want to watch:
The testing programme will focus primarily on testing the field of play, results, scoring and timing systems, as well as key operational procedures and functions.
Seb Coe, Chair of LOCOG, said: “Our approach to operational delivery is similar to that of an athlete. You do not want to face any conditions at competition time that you have not prepared for.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
“When the world’s greatest Olympic and Paralympic athletes come to London in the summer of 2012, every aspect of our delivery needs to be the best it can be.
“The invaluable experience we gain through our testing programme means we can ‘road-test’ all our operational plans and make sure we have all the knowledge we need to deliver a truly memorable Games in 2012.”
Details of how to get hold of test event tickets will be announced later this year.