London Lions make it six wins in a row to go top of the BBL with Eagles victory
- Credit: Archant
London Lions made it six wins in a row to go top after 109-89 victory over Newcastle Eagles.
The top two teams in the league went head-to-head on Friday night, however it was the Lions who looked a class apart by pulling away right from the tip off, giving themselves a double-digit lead within the first five minutes of the game.
Turnovers were also key to the Lions victory, having forcing Newcastle to turn the ball over right from the very first possession and having the Eagles end the night on 22 Turnovers compared to the Lions 14.
Another textbook Lions performance after converting these Newcastle turnovers into 22 total points, matching the fast-paced philosophy of the team.
Chris Tawiah had his best game of the season when it mattered the most, racking up a double double with 26 points and 10 rebounds.
Dirk Williams, the forever reliable offensive spark for Coach Macauley’s side did what he does best and led the team in scoring with 27 points.
You may also want to watch:
The Lions gave another all around offensive team performance with having 6 players all reach double figures in points alongside 27 assists by the team.
After heading into the second half with a 23-point lead, the Eagles came out flying by tallying up a quickfire 11-0 run to force the Lions to readjust their offence via a timeout.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Evan Maxwell spearheaded the Eagles offense with 23 points of his own.
The Lions proved to be too much for Newcastle in the end, never letting their lead slip as soon as they took it from the tip off.
The London Lions have a chance to extend their lead the following day on Saturday against Glasgow Rocks, who currently sit at the foot of the BBL Championship.