Bowen embracing busy fixture list for West Ham ahead of Carabao Cup tie
- Credit: PA
West Ham United will face Manchester United once again just days after losing 2-1 in the Premier League at London Stadium.
The Hammers will make the trip to Old Trafford to face the Red Devils on Wednesday in the third round of the Carabao Cup.
Thanks to their new European commitments, the Hammers are adapting to the challenges of a rigorous fixture schedule, with another quick turnaround seeing them play again on Wednesday before travelling away to Leeds United on Saturday.
By the time the month concludes, David Moyes’ team will have played six games in the space of 20 days – something attacker Jarrod Bowen said his teammates are embracing.
“There are a lot of games coming up now,” Bowen said. “We’ve got the Carabao Cup, then we’re in the Premier League and then the UEFA Europa League the following week as well.
You may also want to watch:
“There are a lot of games, which as players is what we want, and we’ll go into the next game exactly the same as today [Sunday].”
New signings Kurt Zouma, Nikola Vlasic, Alex Kral and Alphonse Areola will be expected to feature more as they settle into the squad – although Zouma and Vlasic have already featured twice since arriving late in the transfer window.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 6 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
Moyes said: “I thought Kurt Zouma was very good. I think his all-around performance, his strength, he did a great job for us and we're trying to challenge the teams getting talked about winning the Premier League.
“I think Kurt will help us do that and I think that overall the team today challenged a really good team to see if we could maybe push it and get closer to them.
“I’m really pleased with how the whole team played today. I thought overall, it was a good performance, they had periods in the game, we had periods in the game, but it was on the verge of being toe-to-toe for long periods.”