Hockey returns to Mile End stadium after Covid in search of young ‘stars of tomorrow’
- Credit: Simone Tudor
A programme to get more youngsters involved in outdoor sport is being started at Mile End stadium in the search for “the hockey stars of tomorrow”.
It is being run by the East London hockey club after the Covid emergency offering the first “return to play” session free in the 2020-21 season.
The club has appointed a Covid officer and is following guidance to make sure it’s safe for players and coaches to get back in the game.
It has also recruited a new coaching team led by Simon Capper with ambitions for the future of the youth section.
“We want to provide an inclusive club for anybody and everybody to thrive,” he says. “The senior club has seen unprecedented success in recent years—now it’s time to see how we develop the stars of tomorrow.”
You may also want to watch:
The club is back at the stadium on Sunday, November 1, to welcome returning players and encourage more juniors to get involved. It is holding training sessions every Sunday morning for youngsters of all abilities aged five to 16, whether they have played for another club or never picked up a hockey stick before.
The club was set up in 1990 as a field team from the Met Police and was the first in Tower Hamlets to establish a youth section. It has experienced a surge in interest since the 2012 Olympics and Team GB’s success in hockey in recent years, while its Ladies First team has now been promoted to the England Hockey national conference league.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided