Mile End trained youngster on climb to the top
KITTY Wallace, who climbs at Mile End, has continued her ascent of the climbing world to become British Junior Champion. Conquering the 62 foot competition wall at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena (more than half of which is overhang) the 15-ye
KITTY Wallace, who climbs at Mile End, has continued her ascent of the climbing world to become British Junior Champion.
Conquering the 62 foot competition wall at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena (more than half of which is overhang) the 15-year-old wowed judges with her style and strength
The victory follows on from what has been an outstanding period for Kitty, who recently won a sponsorship deal with the Jazz Apples' Team Jazz last year.
In April, she became a British record holder as the youngest female to free climb an 8a graded rock face.
You may also want to watch:
This summer, Kitty scales new heights competing in the 'European Youth Series' - a series of five competitions taking place in such climbing meccas as Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Russia and this year Scotland, where she will be up against 40 of Europe's top cliffhangers.
Next month (August) sees her biggest challenge yet as she will be flying the flag for Great Britain at the IFSC (International Federation of Sport Climbing) World Championships in Valence, France.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 9 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
"The year's been amazing! Gaining sponsorship from Jazz Apples, breaking a British record, winning the national championships and now I've got to travel round Europe doing what I love,'' she says.
Despite its lack of snowcapped peaks, London has some excellent climbing.
Kitty fell in love with the sport after a taster session at the Mile End climbing wall in Mile End Park.
The centre offers climbing for all abilities, with 16,000 sq. ft of climbing walls and is offering special sessions over the summer holidays that started this week and will continue until August 28.
The sessions run from 10-30am - 12noon and 2pm - 3-30pm. For more details call 0208-980-0289.