Millwall roar to first win of the season
Millwall 31 Bancroft 0
Tom Ronayne scored twice as Millwall ran riot with a bonus-point win at Hackney Marshes on Saturday, writes Sophie Morris.
It took some time for Millwall to break the deadlock, but they dominated the set-piece – winning a number of opposition scrums and line-outs – and were rewarded mid-way into the first half when centre Ronayne crossed the line from close range.
Prop Shaun Cook scored again before half-time, following an impressive maul from the Millwall pack.
Five minutes into the second half and the home side scored a third try with Iwan Thomas finishing off a fine passing move, putting the game beyond Bancroft at 21-0 – fly-half Andy Long had been successful with all three conversions.
You may also want to watch:
Millwall made full use of their bench and substitutes with Robert Quinn and Michael Eason, in particular, impressing.
With 10 minutes to go Millwall closed off the game and scored two further tries ensuring their bonus-point win. Long got on the end of a pass from Mike Foulds to go over in the corner, while Ronayne scored his second try of the day to complete a comprehensive win.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Coach Dave Roberts believes the manner of Millwall’s victory will boost their confidence for the forthcoming matches.
“I was very happy with the team’s performance,” he said.
“I think it will give us a lot of confidence going into next week’s away clash against Clapton.”