Morpeth pupil gets international call-up
Morpeth School s Ashley Facey Thompson has since been chosen for Team GB training camp at the National Table Tennis Centre in Sheffield
Morpeth School's Ashley Facey Thompson has since been chosen for Team GB training camp at the National Table Tennis Centre in Sheffield.
The 14-year-old represented Great Britain's Paralympic Senior Table Tennis team in May and has impressed the new Team GB Paralympic performance director, Vecko Gorazd, so much that he has now been moved from the Team GB Development Squad to the main performance squad.
Team GB performance director recently told Morpeth School coach Grant Solder: "Ashley is a very talented young man with world class potential and is hopeful that Ashley can be one of the world's leading players at the 2012 Paralympic Games."
Facey Thompson is currently ranked number two in Great Britain Men's for his class and was recently selected to represent the south east of England in the UK school games in Cardiff where he won a silver medal in the under-18 boys singles. Facey Thompson says "It was a fantastic experience to be selected to play at the UK schools games in Cardiff and I'm thrilled to have won a silver medal," Facey Thompson said a view echoed by school coach Solder.
You may also want to watch:
"Ashley's recent achievements have been outstanding and his attitude has improved greatly as he is now much more professional in his approach and is doing everything necessary in order of completing his goal in competing for a medal at the 2012 Paralympic Games.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals