Cricket: Neo crowned Essex County League Division Two champions
- Credit: Archant
Neo CC were crowned Essex County League Division Two champions after a four-wicket win over title rivals Aztecs at Clayhall Park.
Shaha Riadh and Firoz Dogha (2-25) bowled tight new ball spells, before Ariful Islam (3-31) made the breakthrough.
Younus Shamim (1-18) ended a big partnership, while Ayaz Karim (1-48) also had success as Aztecs reached 208-7 from their 45 overs.
Zisan Abedin and Rokan Arafat Mashuk shared a thrilling 93-run opening stand in reply to ensure Neo got off to a flying start in the first 10 overs.
When Zisan was dismissed for 51, Rokan (64) continued his brilliance with the bat alongside Fahad Sami (21).
You may also want to watch:
It was only a matter of time for Sajal Rahman (21), Younus Shamim and Shahriar Zahid to bring Neo safely home and secure the championship.
Captain and club secretary Ayaz Karim said; "It was the first year for us in a Saturday competitive league and our boys are speechless after this wonderful season.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Rotherhithe tunnel to close all next week for urgent repairs
"Our performance has improved game by game as we were all chasing one dream to reach number one in the league table. It has been an emotional journey for all of us and I'd like to thank everyone who cheered us throughout the year."