Newman wins on England bow
Lee Newman has made a winning debut in England colours as the Repton fighter secured a points win over Irish rival David Walsh
Lee Newman made a winning debut in England colours as the Repton fighter secured a points win over Irish rival David Walsh in London on Friday night.
The battling welterweight, who gave up entry into the ABA championships in favour of representing his country, looked determined for a debut success from the start as he found gaps in his rival's defences.
Walsh gamely tried to fight back in the later rounds but Newman's two-fisted attacks proved decisive and helped England to a 6-2 team win on the night.
Michael Channing helped make it a double disappointment for the Irish as he inspired Repton to a 4-3 win over their Belfast rivals in Ulster on Friday
You may also want to watch:
Channing starred in the Repton squad, catching his rival with solid shots in every round to collect a clear points victory.
George Curragh was also in winning form for the Bethnal Green club, outpointing opponent Jim McNulty, while Ishad Mohamed produced the punches to outscore Irish rival Jimmy Beattie.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
Michael Amoo was also a winner for Repton after outpointing Barry Keirnan, but Luca Cutrupi suffered a disqualification against Mike Neeson.