Olympic champion visits Fight For Peace club
- Credit: Archant
Adams hopes to inspire more females into boxing
Double Olympic gold medal-winning boxer and Fight for Peace Ambassador Nicola Adams MBE paid a special visit to the London Academy to meet young athletes this week.
The visit formed part of a BBC Radio 4 Today programme which Adams is guest editing and which features Fight for Peace and its members.
Adams dropped in to a fighting fit strength and conditioning class at the Academy – a twice weekly session held in the gym where athletes have the chance to build on their power, endurance and physical condition.
And the Olympic, European, Commonwealth and World champion stepped into the ring during the session to pass on her knowledge to some of the Academy’s aspiring female boxers.
You may also want to watch:
Amelia Griffith-Apple, a boxer at Fight for Peace, said: “Having the chance to meet Nicola Adams has inspired me to push my boxing to the next level and start sparring.
“She seems so calm and down to earth that it made me feel that anyone can make it as long as you have the determination and drive.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
A number of Fight for Peace female boxers were interviewed by the BBC on their love of the sport and their experiences at the London Academy, while Adams posed for photos with eager young fans.
Adams has been a Fight for Peace Ambassador since 2015 and her history-making exploits in the ring are a great source of inspiration to all Fight for Peace members, particularly those aiming to become boxing champions.
The BBC Radio 4 Today programme featuring Nicola Adams and Fight for Peace airs on December 29 at 6am.