Repton squad revel in Scandinavia success
Repton boxers returned home with eight gold medals following a dominant display at a multi-nations tournament in Norway
Repton boxers returned home with eight gold medals this week following a dominant display at a multi-nations tournament in Norway.
Senior trio Lee Newman, Michael McCarthy and Freddie Turner - back in Repton colours after spells at West Ham and Peacock clubs - each bagged gold medals, while Frank Buglioni, Michael Channing and junior Connor Packman had to be content with silvers after close contests against top-rated rivals.
Mark Baker's top-class performance not only took the gold medal but also earned him the award as the top junior boxer at the tournament, while fellow youngsters Tommy Buckley, Sam Dighton, Callum Channing, Perry Lovejoy and Tom Buckley all took gold in Repton colours.
The chief disappointment for the Bethnal Green club came with the withdrawal of the planned opponent for England fighter Martin Ward.
You may also want to watch:
Ward had been looking for his first action at bantamweight after stepping up following his appearance at the World Youth Championships last October.
Repton will be hoping for similar success at the London CYP Boys club championship at York Hall on Saturday.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
The club will send a 10-man squad to the finals after chalking up impressive victories in the preliminary bouts last week, highlighted by Tommy Baker's memorable semi-final victory over Fitzroy Lodge rival Chris Esiaka in the Class C Under-69kg clash.
There was also a double success in the Class B Under-60kg category for Leon Wallace, who opened with a unanimous points win over Chris Webb, from St Pancras.
The classy Wallace followed that triumph with a semi-final success over Times rival Charlie Rice, who tried hard to take Wallace out of his stride.
Also winning in Repton colours were Jimmy Smith, who outscored Ruislip rival Chris Barker in their Class A Under-75 kg meeting, while George O'Mahoney booked a place in the Class B Under-66kg final by outpointing Earlsfield's Ray Yeo.
The club's senior boxers will also be in action this weekend on a dinner show at the Woolston Manor Country Club in Chigwell.
A North East of England team will supply the opposition after Repton boxed in Sunderland last month.
Buglioni, Channing and Norgrove are all named in the Bethnal Green club's squad of five senior boxers and four juniors.