School Sport: Olga Primary School win Clifford Chance Rugby Academy tag rugby tournament
- Credit: Archant
A round-up of the action at the recent competition
Olga Primary School were crowned Clifford Chance Rugby Academy tag rugby champions in dramatic fashion after scoring a golden try in their final against English Martyrs.
Both Olga and English Martyrs had made it through to finals day at Millwall Rugby Club, Harbinger and St Luke’s, having qualified from the group stages which were held earlier in June.
In the first semi-final, Olga also needed a golden try to see off the challenge of Harbinger in an enthralling encounter that ended 4-3.
The other semi-final was a more straightforward affair as English Martyrs ran out 3-0 winners, despite some inspired leadership from St Luke’s captain William Shankland.
You may also want to watch:
An early try from English Martyrs skipper Kai Denys put them in front, but neither team gave an inch until the final moments of the first half, including another from Denys, saw his side hold a 4-2 lead at the break.
Olga closed to within one try shortly after the restart when Aaqil Chowdhury crossed following good work by captain George Pettersen before Terrance Martin levelled things up in the closing moments.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
With extra time forced, Olga were able to find the winning score after more good work from Pettersen despite a last-ditch tackle from Denys.
Tower Hamlets Youth Sport Foundation rugby development officer Scott Vinnicombe will now select a ‘dream team’ to represent the Clifford Chance academy at a borough-wide tournament next month.