Second-half double sees East London get the better of Old Loughts in derby encounter
- Credit: Archant
East London’s women celebrated a 2-0 win over Old Loughts seconds in their first home match of the new East League Divison One South season.
Carla Garces went close from Anastasia Nicholl’s cross, while Ailish Hendry saw a shot from the top of the D saved as the first half ended goalless.
The deadlock was broken when Aisha Damarell picked out Karen Heaney to shoot between the keeper’s pads and Lucy Dempsey added a superb second to seal the points.
East London make the short trip to Upminster this weekend.
The seconds ran out 5-2 winners at Stevenage in East Two South West, after an early brace from Lucy Bohoslawec.
You may also want to watch:
Sophie Crampton Smith tapped in a third when Bohoslawec hit a post and then crossed for her team-mate to complete a first-half hat-trick, after Lynsey Thompson, Amy MacKenzie and Kate Hendry combined in the build-up.
The hosts hit back from a short corner, but MacKenzie made it 5-1 after an excellent passing move and although Stevenage scored again late on there was no denying East London a fine win.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
The thirds edged out the fourths 2-1 in a club derby at Mile End Astro.
The first half ended scoreless, as the two sides battled for supremacy, but Catherine Weber put the thirds ahead after the restart.
The fourths levelled through Tara Annison from a short corner, but Stacey West netted the winner after Weber set her up.
The sides shared post-match pizza sponsored by Paradise Slice in The Castle in Aldgate East.
The fifths secured a fine 3-0 win at Brentwood thirds thanks to goals from Barbara De Beukela, Belinda Le Mesurier and Esther Trienekens.
But the sixths had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Brentwood fourths as Amy Ballard netted a cracking goal as many other chances went begging.
Another club derby saw the sevenths beat the eighths 4-1 with goals from Wendy Smith, Lorna Crayston, Penny Newson and Georgina Tordoff.
But East London experienced mixed fortunes in their mixed fixtures on Sunday, with the first team beating Hackney Thundercats 5-2 at John Orwell.
The seconds were beaten 8-2 by Waltham Forest, with goals from Rob Bartlett at a short corner and Stephy Roberts, who netted with a reverse-stick shot.