Seeley stars as UEL topple Kings
- Credit: Archant
BUCS: UEL 48 Kings College IV 13
Sean Seeley scored three tries for the second game running as the University of East London’s men’s rugby team eased to victory over Kings College London fourths at Barking.
UEL were not at their best in the first half but still managed to build up a 22-8 lead.
But a much improved second half outing saw the hosts more than double their tally, running in a total of seven tries to maintain their place at the top of South Eastern 4B table.
After last week’s demolition of Canterbury Christ Church, UEL went into their latest match full of confidence, and it showed early on when Fab Ogunfowora decided to kick for territory rather than go for a relatively simple penalty.
You may also want to watch:
It proved to be the right decision, though, as hooker Rob Gardner followed up his own lineout by crossing the line after a great drive by the pack.
Both sides kicked a penalty each before Seeley ran under the posts to score UEL’s second try midway through the half after good movement by Sam Foster and Calum Gardner.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
Gurung’s conversion put UEL 15-3 up, but Kings responded well and an excellent kick by fly-half Freddie Green forced Gardner to concede a penalty only a few yards from his own try line.
KCL spread the ball out wide after a quick tap and go and Ali Patmore crossed the line.
But Green failed to add the extras and UEL’s third try in the final play of the half ensured a comfortable half-time lead.
A surging run and a super offload by scrum-half Gurung put the try on a plate for Seeley and Gurung added the conversion to put the hosts 22-8 up.
The winger completed his hat-trick less than two minutes into the second half, being in the prime position once again to cross the line after Sam Foster’s angled run.
With Gurung off at half-time, Ogunfowora took on kicking duties and struck the post with the conversion, but he soon made up for it by kicking a penalty before Foster crossed the line out wide after a well executed scrum inside the Kings 22.
Tries from replacement Toby Hind and debutant Alex Foster completed UEL’s scoring, but Kings restored some pride with the last try of the match, prop Ed Tranah going over in the corner.
East London continue their march towards the title with an away trip to London Metropolitan on Wednesday (March 19), before wrapping the season up at home to Kent 3rd the following week.
UEL, tries: Gardner, Seeley (3), S Foster, Hind, A Foster. Cons: R Gurung (2), Ogunfowora. Pens: R Gurung, Ogunfowora.
KCL, tries: Patmore, Tranah. Pen: Green.