Sir John Cass girls’ rise above the rest on the basketball courts
A Stepney school has shown they are head and shoulders above their peers when it comes to dominance on the basketball court.
Sir John Cass girls slam dunked their way to victory in the Tower Hamlets junior basketball tournament at Whitechapel Sports Centre, seeing off competition from Central Foundation Girls’ school and Langdon Park school.
Thirty of the best girls in years 10 and 11 were competing in the tournament, organized by Tower Hamlets council’s sports development team, on March 11.
Central Foundation Girls’ school stormed to victory in the opening game against Langdon Park school but came back down to earth against Sir John Cass, with England under-15 development player Deborah Somoye-Unsby dominating in a 9-2 win.
The eventual champions then beat Langdon Park 24-7 and against Central Foundation in a fast and furious final were comfortable winners – 19-7.
You may also want to watch:
Fionnuala Keown, the council’s assistant sports development officer, said: “Basketball is a fantastic way to keep fit.”
An under-18 girls’ team trains at Whitechapel sports centre on Wednesdays between 4 and 6pm; the boys’ team meet at Mile End sports centre on Saturdays from noon to 2pm.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
For more details, call Fionnuala on 07984815762 or visit towerhamlets.gov.uk/basketball.