Steeds gets title shot against Midlands veteran
By Phil Ravitz ISLE of Dogs contender Micky Steeds is to get a crack at the British cruiserweight title in a couple of months time. Steeds (pictured right), who has dropped down from heavyweight in the last 18 months, will have to go into his opponent s o
By Phil Ravitz
ISLE of Dogs contender Micky Steeds is to get a crack at the British cruiserweight title in a couple of months time.
Steeds (pictured right), who has dropped down from heavyweight in the last 18 months, will have to go into his opponent's own backyard to get the chance of a British title, but will have a decided age advantage.
He has been matched with the Midlands veteran Robert Norton, who at 36, 10 years older than Steeds, must be coming to the end of a professional career that began 15 years ago, in 1993. Still, Norton, from Stourbridge, Worcestershire, has won 29 out of his 34 pro contests and will have a real home advantage in the Matchroom Promotions' title fight, being staged at Wolverhampton's Civic Hall on Friday, September 26.
You may also want to watch:
Norton took the English cruiser title off Tommy Eastwood, formerly East London trained, in March of last year, but hasn't been in a ring in 2008. He has also had two attempts to win the Commonwealth title, but has lost both times.
Steeds' latest outing was when outpointed the veteran Radcliffe Green over four rounds in June this year.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 5 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 6 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 7 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
The Tower Hamlets warrior has won 12 of his 14 contests, his only defeats coming at the hands of Welshman Scott Gammer, who has beaten Steeds twice.