Tayla O’Brien claims gold while other local youngsters impress at 10eme National Open
- Credit: Archant
Raphael Veras helped talented Bethnal Green youngster last Saturday and had plenty of other fighters enjoy success in France
Tayla O’Brien enjoyed her trip to France last weekend, as she returned back to Bethnal Green with another gold medal.
The 13-year-old competed in the 10eme National Open in Orleans on Saturday and received help from another local coach.
Raphael Veras, of Veras Academy Karate Club, went with O’Brien to the event and played a big part in her success.
O’Brien competed in the girls 12-13 years -40kg category and faced fighters from all across the world.
You may also want to watch:
After five tough fights, the Uechi-ryu Karate Club member managed to claim gold to become national Orleans in her category.
Mum Lisa O’Brien said: “Tayla had a great day and we were all very proud of her for winning gold.”
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
Sensei Raphael Veras took 11 other young athletes to Orleans and was pleased with how all of his squad coped.
Luan Veras won the 12-13 years -45kg category on the Saturday after some excellent performances in France.
The following day nine-year-old Isaac Gibson achieved his first European gold in the -25kg competition.
Naveah Thomas-Birch, also nine, did well in the -30kg category and claimed a podium finish by earning bronze.
All in all it was another successful weekend for Raphael Veras and his group of talented local young fighters.