The Upton boys show some brotherly glove
- Credit: Archant
Boxing brothers set to share the same ring
Boxing brothers Paul and Anthony Upton will be in action tomorrow on the Johnny Eames TRAD TKO Events Brothers in Arms show at York Hall, Bethnal Green.
Paul and Anthony make up half of the well known boxing Upton clan, the other half being Sonny, who is signed with Ricky Hatton, and James, who continues to campaign in the amateur ranks..
Between them, the members of the Upton clan virtually dominated the Irish amateur scene over the past few years, Paul and Anthony alone secured no less than seven national titles, as well as numerous international honours.
On Friday, Paul, who was the first of the brothers to compete in the pro ranks, scoring a superb points win over the highly experienced Dee Mitchell on his debut back in July, will be in action against Norwich’s Duane Green.
You may also want to watch:
Whilst Anthony has drawn the experienced ‘Dirty’ Dan Carr, from Trowbridge in Wiltshire, for his pro debut.
Following the penultimate training session at the TRAD TKO Gym in Canning Town, Paul spoke briefly about his debut fight and his upcoming second outing. “I’m really looking forward to getting out again.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
“My debut? Well it was a tough fight, I was against Dee Mitchell, I really wasn’t meant to be fighting him, Freddie Turner was meant to fight him but they couldn’t get anyone for me.
“It was a nice learning experience, fighting someone with that much experience, he was tough but I stuck with my boxing and loved it.
“I’m so pleased that Johnny is keeping me busy, that’s how we want to be, really busy and build our record up and keeping the wins going.”
Anthony added; “I can’t wait, what can I say, it’s been a long time coming and I just can’t wait to get out there.
“Training’s gone well, the support is good, the team behind us is all good, Mo’s (former Commonwealth Champion Mo Hussein) a good trainer so everything is great, now it’s down to me to get the win.”
Paul Upton, against Duane Green and Anthony Upton against Dan Carr feature on the undercard of Nathan Graham versus Freddie Turner Southern Area Light-middleweight Title clash that headlines the Johnny Eames TRAD TKO event at York Hall.
? Tickets, priced £35 (Standard Seated) and £60 (Ringside) are available direct from Anthony or Paul or alternatively buy on-line at www.tkoboxoffice.com or in person at the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning Town. For further information, or to purchase tickets by phone, call 07960 850645.