Tower Hamlets take more medals
- Credit: Archant
Kayak squad impress at London Youth Games
Tower Hamlets youngsters enjoyed more success at the Thames Water London Youth Games Regatta in Docklands at the weekend.
The borough squad has made it onto the podium in the kayak slalom event every year since 2011, winning gold in 2012.
And individual gold medals from junior racer Ross Dixon and senior Gabriella Leoni helped the team take silver in the overall standings to the delight of manager Will Tytler.
He said: “I feel very excited and I’m really proud of how they worked their way up to second.
You may also want to watch:
“I really enjoy teaching the team. It’s fun to see how excited the kids are and how excited they get.”
Rowing and kayak slalom events were also held last weekend and a two-day sailing competition is due to take place at King George V Reservoir in Enfield next weekend (June 20-21).
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 4 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 5 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 6 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 7 Councillor ex-husband of MP Apsana Begum suspended from Labour Party
- 8 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Three held after shots reportedly fired at house in Bethnal Green
Points from the four regatta competitions will then be added together to determine the overall champions.
Tower Hamlets were also in action at the volleyball qualifying competition at the Score Centre in Leyton.
But the girls team just missed out on a place in the quarter-finals after finishing third in their group.
Tower Hamlets beat local rivals Newham (26-24) and Redbridge (25-8), but fell to defeats against Richmond (25-16), Lambeth (25-21) and Kingston (25-20) to finish in ninth place.
The boys got the better of their Lambeth rivals (26-24), but lost to Haringey (25-20), Kensington & Chelsea (25-13), Waltham Forest (25-13), Hounslow (25-7), Croydon (25-12), Kingston (25-13) and Barnet (25-15).
Borough squads are set to battle it out in a host of other events at Redbridge Sport & Leisure this weekend, including the fencing finals.