UEL basketball side earn solid win
- Credit: Archant
East Londoners triumph in close encounter with Imperial College London
After a frustrating defeat last weekend to Sussex, the University of East London women’s basketball squad bounced back and knocked off Imperial College London at the SportsDock with a 52-44 triumph.
UEL didn’t get off to the best of starts and were down 10-4 well into the first quarter, but a 5-0 run brought them to within one point by the end of the opening 15.
It took the hosts less than 20 seconds into the second to score and they soon led 17-12 with five minutes to play in the half.
This time it was Imperial who rallied, however, as they scored just before the break to draw the scores level at 22 and set the second half up perfectly.
You may also want to watch:
Imperial briefly pulled ahead in the third period going 30-29 up as they tried to take the initiative.
But UEL came back to take charge of the game and eventually went on to win by eight points and show they can grind it out when needed.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
They are now 1-1 on the season and will play Royal Holloway away next Wednesday at 6:30pm hoping to get on a victorious run and firmly put their opening day loss behind them.