UEL cricketers crowned unbeaten champions
- Credit: Archant
Captain Wood hits ton in another big win
UEL’s unbeaten cricketers completed their title-winning season with their fifth successive win at Wanstead yesterday.
They piled up 298-8 from their 50 overs against Queen Mary University, with captain Ali Wood’s 106 leading the way.
Mark Barrell, Ahmad Butt and Shams Naseer provided good support with the bat and UEL skittled their rivals for just 79 in reply.
The wickets were shared around, after notable spells from Haroon Qadoos, Adil Malik and Zuhaib Shahid, as UEL clinched a 219-run victory.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Wood said: “It was a superb win. The pitch was a bit two-paced but I was extremely pleased and proud to score a hundred in a victory that saw us win the league title unbeaten.
“We may not have come up against the best opposition this year, but we have always performed well and that has shown in the number of runs we have scored and large winning margins we have had.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
“All the guys have shown their class over these five games and can now go and hopefully have a successful season with their respective clubs and come back next year even hungrier for success.”