UEL cricketers target perfect season
- Credit: Archant
Two wins in a week lift students
UEL’s cricket squad are targetting a perfect season after extending their winning streak to five matches this week.
The students notched up two victories in the space of four days to make it five in a row and face Queen Mary University in their final fixture next week.
Usman Sahar’s half century led the way as they piled up 306 from 44 overs against City University, before Ahmed Butt took four wickets to help seal a 139-run triumph.
Captain Ali Wood said: “It was a great performance from the team. Despite winning by 139 runs at times it was our toughest test of the campaign so far.
You may also want to watch:
“The boys showed a lot of character to get the win and was good that everyone chipped in with runs and wickets.”
UEL travelled to Kingston yesterday and skittled the home side for just 57 in 27 overs, with Hatoon Qadoos the pick of the attack with four wickets.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Their batsmen had few problems reaching the target in just 14.1 overs, with seven wickets in hand, and Wood added: “We have had a few big wins this year and for the boys to keep their concentration up throughout has been great. Such an emphatic result again really shows our quality.
“We’ve had two matches and two great wins this week. Next week it’s our final game of the season against Queen Mary and a win will see us unbeaten for the season and promoted.
“We are extremely excited to be in a position to gain promotion and to do it unbeaten all season will be very special.”