UEL hit rivals for six
- Credit: Archant
BUCS football: Essex IV 2 UEL III 6
The University of East London’s third string eased to victory over Essex fourths in a return to their winning ways in the BUCS league.
A brace apiece from Jamie Hawthorne and Olly Soulsby led the way for UEL, with further goals from Yadgar Mahmoud and Kieran Baldwin.
The game began at a fast tempo from both sides, but UEL took the lead when Hawthorne turned and shot low into the goal.
The home side then applied pressure to UEL’s goal and forced keeper Julian Amaoko into several good saves before levelling from the penalty spot.
You may also want to watch:
UEL responded well to this setback and scored two quick goals. Firstly, Mahmoud followed a shot from John Silva to tap home and then Hawthorne squeezed the ball in from a tight angle to give the visitors a comfortable lead heading into half time.
UEL extended their advantage after half time as two fantastic goals were fired in from long range by Soulsby and Baldwin.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
Essex responded with a goal of their own, but Soulsby scored a stunning individual goal to wrap up the scoring as UEL celebrated a comfortable win.