UEL look to serve up success
- Credit: Archant
Volleyball squads chase Student Cup glory
The University of East London will look to make home court advantage count at the Volleyball England Student Cup finals this weekend.
UEL welcomes Britain’s top university volleyball players to SportsDock and will have three of its own teams chasing honours in the elite competition.
The hosts will be the most represented university at the two-day event and will be hoping to go one better than last year’s semi-finals finish, with backing from the local community.
The east London sides will be hoping to continue their successful seasons in the Student Cup, with the men currently lying in second place in the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) South Premier League in their top-flight debut.
You may also want to watch:
The women’s team are unbeaten in the South Eastern 1A League, having only dropped a single set all season, and are also into the last 16 of the BUCS Trophy and aiming to be the first UEL team to reach the final.
The VE Student Cup finals will be a challenging weekend, but UEL staff and students remain confident.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
“This semester, the women remained unbeaten in their BUCS League in the drive for promotion,” said UEL’s head volleyball coach Tomasz Morawski.
“They hope to be joining the men in the BUCS Premiership and becoming the first-ever female team in the University of East London to achieve the highest level of domestic university competition.”
Men’s captain Scott Weninger added: “By hosting the Student Cup finals we believe we can give a good showing and are confident that we can go all the way.”
The VE Student Cup Finals take place at SportsDock on February 7-8, with free admission. Doors open at 9am on Saturday.
SportsDock is a world class sports facility and available for events. UEL offers volleyball scholarships to elite volleyball players.