UEL students help team roar into semis
- Credit: Archant
Four basketball stars shine for Essex Leopards in play-offs run
Four UEL basketball players helped Essex Leopards reach the semi-final of the NBL Division One play-offs.
Will Ashby, Matic Zupanc, Lukas Winegarner and former student Byron Richards teamed up for the Big Cats who were looking to add to their regular season title won earlier in the year.
At the event in Sheffield the Leopards lost out to Kent Crusaders, who went on to be crowned eventual champions at the English Institute of Sport.
Ashby was named the team’s player of the year but admits it was gutting to lose with the final in sight.
You may also want to watch:
“It was very disappointing to have lost in the semi-final but that’s the fun of the play-offs when it’s all down to the performance on the day,” he said.
“It has still ben a fantastic year. To call myself a Division One champion is something I am extremely proud of,” he said.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
“What you put in is what you get out so the more time and effort you put in when training the more likely you are to achieve and win games.”