UEL women kill Kent challenge
- Credit: Archant
Volleyball squad prove too strong for rivals
The University of East London’s women’s volleyball team once again proved their aspirations for promotion to the BUCS Premier League.
The UEL squad continued their dominance of the South East 1A League with a convincing three-set win over Kent at SportsDock.
The game started with an amazing run of 18 consecutive points by UEL, with postgraduate student Rebecca Westphal serving.
The home team wrapped up the set 25-2 and started the second set very well again, leading 16-3, and closing it quickly at 25-4.
You may also want to watch:
Their serving again proved too strong to handle for the visiting team, giving UEL many direct points and counter-attack opportunities.
The third and final set underlined UEL’s domination and, with many unforced errors commited by Kent, the hosts claimed overall victory after closing the third set out at 25-5.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
It was another strong display of high level volleyball from UEL’s women, who overwhelmed their Kent rivals in every element.
Carrie Beck was UEL’s best blocker with two block kills, while captain Alex Vajdova scored the most points with 15 as six serve aces from Beth Gunter rounded off the substantial win.