Venus land a narrow victory as rugby season finally kicks off
- Credit: Archant
Millwall Venus 30 LSE 29 Manager Caroline Dieleman praised the attitude of her Venus players – including Amy Trakos who played in her first-ever rugby match – as Millwall finally began their league campaign after an enforced winter break due to poor weather.
Millwall and the London School of Economics side were very evenly matched with tries scored at each end from the start. Jennifer Faithfull and Kiki Oyemhen ran in two scores apiece.
There were further tries for Hannah Clarke and Andrea Bielska.
Venus’ forwards showed great strength to dominate in the scrum, while at the other end Trakos played a crucial role by holding up the defensive line with some great tackles.
And boss Dieleman was delighted by the winning start and attitude shown by the Venus players.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It is great to see new players do well. It motivates the team and shows that rugby is for everyone.”
Trainer Scott Vinnicombe felt the patience and work-rate were key to the victory.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
“Having so many of the girls regularly at training has really paid off in this performance,” he added.
? Millwall Venus are still recruiting players of all experience levels. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.venusrugby.com for more information.