Veras Academy pick up prizes in Paris
- Credit: Archant
Karate youngsters impress at Adidas Open
Veras Academy had plenty to cheer at the Adidas Open in Paris.
Luan Veras claimed gold in the 12/13-year-old under-45kg category, while Demie Holland beat the former French champion for a well-earned bronze in the over-55kg section.
And Tayla O’Brien, who trains with Terry Daly’s uechi-Ryu club but was invited to compete by sensei Raphael Veras, added another bronze in the under-40kg category.
Chloe Casimir just missed out on a medal in the 14/15-year-old over-54kg section, finishing fifth.
You may also want to watch:
More than 1500 competitors took part in four age categories from under-12 to seniors and the event is one of two French pre-selection competitions for the European Youth Championships.
Sensei Veras selected four athletes to represent Team USF Karate, a club from Val de Marne and Ile de France in Fontenay sous Bois, run by husband and wife senseis Bel-Lahsen Rida, a former world medalist, and Stephanie, the Luxembourg National coach.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
He said: “I was over the moon with the results as it reassures me that the work I am doing is heading on the right path.
“The team was delighted to have the opportunity to compete under the French Federation which was ranked second in the WKF World Karate Championship medals table in Austria at the beginning of the month.
“We cannot thank enough Bel-lahsen Rida and Stephanie Bel-lahsen Duperret and all of the USF karate team in France enough for inviting us in to their karate family.”
Luan Veras and brothers Liam and Luca will be attending the London Schools’ judo competition this weekend, before heading to the Belgium Open karate competition.
Trips to Istanbul and Paris follow, before Luan Veras attends his first British Judo Championships in Sheffield on December 3.
The boys are currently looking for sponsors to cover some of the costs of their trips and for further information about Veras Academy Karate Association activities contact 07886 495135.