Veras youngster strikes gold in Croatia
- Credit: Archant
Liam Veras took centre stage to win gold at the WKF World Youth Cup in Croatia.
The 11-year-old dominated all five of his fights on his way to the title in the under-12 under-35kg category, while brother Luca, who had just turned 10, had the chance to fight for third place.
Elder brother Luan won a bronze medal in the under-14 under-50kg category, after missing out in the earlier kata competitions.
Liam Veras won through three rounds in his kata category, but lost a semi-final to a very strong opponent from India and had to settle for fifth place after losing to a Bulgaria rival in the repecharge.
Raphael Veras said: “This tournament is included in the qualification process for the Youth Olympics next year, however the boys are still young to be considered.
You may also want to watch:
“Nonetheless, all three brothers showed outstanding talent in their presentation of techniques, performing top-level combinations in kumite and kata.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns