Very good weekend for Veras Academy
- Credit: Archant
Karate youngsters win more medals
Veras Academy youngsters had more to celebrate on a busy weekend of action.
A group of five juniors from the Poplar club, aged seven to 12, competed in the third International Marmara Cup in Istanbul, Turkey on Friday and collected three gold, two silver and two bronze medals.
The competition is used as a qualifying event as part of the selection process for the Turkish National Championships and there was a team kata gold medal for brothers Luan, Liam and Luca Veras.
Luan and Liam Veras added kumite golds in their respective divisions, while Dylan Gibson took silver in his individual kata.
You may also want to watch:
Dylan and Isaac Gibson added bronze medals in their kumite competitions to complete a fine haul.
After arriving back at Heathrow airport on Saturday evening, sensei Raphael Veras drove 12-year-old Luan to Dover to board a ferry for France so he could compete in Paris on Sunday.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
And, having already enjoyed success in the French capital at the Adidas Cup, as well as the Coupe de Kayl in Luxembourg, the youngster finished his karate season on top yet again at the French Cup, while competing for USF Karate.
Raphael Veras said: “It has indeed been a busy year for the Veras brothers, who compete in various combat and forms.
“Luan now focuses on the last judo event of the year at the British Championships in Sheffield on December 3.”