Wootton to continue mighty Muay Thai rise at huge UK Event
- Credit: Archant
KO Gym fighter in good form after shock victory in November against multi-weight World Muay Thai champion
Bethnal Green’s Greg Wootton, the UK’s number one ranked super-lightweight, is set to fight in the country’s biggest Muay Thai event ever later this year.
Wootton, of the famous KO Gym in London, will fight in front of an expected 10,000 fans at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham on Saturday, May 23 for The Main Event.
He had a pivotal year in 2014, culminating in November’s shock victory against multi-weight World Muay Thai champion Petchboonchu (FA Group of Thailand), who was regarded as the world’s best fighter.
Wootton’s triumph was hailed by many respected figures in the sport as the biggest ever win for a UK fighter and his current professional fight record reads 30 wins from 34 fights.
You may also want to watch:
The Main Event show will see Wootton, along with some of the world’s other top Muay Thai fighters, compete in the sport’s most exciting night ever in the UK.
Due to its relatively recent surge in popularity here, you could be forgiven for thinking that Muay Thai hasn’t been around very long. In fact, it is the ancient fighting art of Thailand and originated hundreds of years ago.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
This form of fighting uses punches, kicks, knees and elbows and is sometimes known as ‘the art of eight limbs’ and is a style that lends itself to non-stop action.
Wootton is one of several headlining fighters on what promises to be one of the most exciting fight cards in any combat sport.
All of the other fighters for The Main Event Arena Tour in Birmingham, including Wootton’s opponent, will be announced in due course.
Tickets are available now via the box office 08443 388000 or themainevent.media.