Afrovibed festival heading to East London
The nationwide Afrovibes Festival tour is heading to East London this week to cap off a season of African music at Stratford Circus.
Artists from across South Africa and beyond have teamed up to put on a series of events ranging from comedy to African music.
A “Township Cafe” will also be set up in the Circus, allowing people to experience authentic African foods and take part in debates and late night music and workshops.
The festival is being produced by UK Arts International. Director Jan Ryan said: ““Afrovibes is a festival that connects artists in the UK with artists in South Africa.
“It enables people to not only experience the work of a range of South African performers, but to contextualise that work through events that take place in the Township Cafe.”
You may also want to watch:
The festival has received a rapturous reception so far, with particular success for the events set to be put on in the East London leg of the tour.
The programme at Stratford Circus will include two plays. Comedy And the Girls in Their Sunday Dresses tells the story of an unlikely alliance between two women from fundamentally different backgrounds, and Mother to Mother, is a touching tale of an American Fullbright Scholar killed in a Capetown township.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
Nine-piece Sibikwa Orchestra, renowned for keeping the audience on their feet and involved throughout the performance, will also be appearing as part of the festival.
The festival’s shows will be held from October 3-6. For tickets visit www.stratford-circus.com or call 0844 357 2625.