Barbican marks 30 years of art, dance, theatre, film and music
The Barbican is marking its 30th anniversary with a New Year programme of visual art, dance, theatre, film and music both modern and classical.
Jazz icon Ahmad Jamal return with material from his new album Blue Moon on February 8, Bobby McFerrin performs from his latest album SpiritYouAll on March 3 and Sinéad O’Connor in an acoustic set on March 27.
In classical music, violinist Maxim Vengerov performs a recital with pianist Itamar Golan featuring Beethoven and Schubert on February 20, while pianist Stephen Hough performs Brahms with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, Concerto No 1 on April 12 and Concerto No 2 on May 17.
Baroque music features this month and next, with the English Concert and Harry Bicket in Handel’s Radamisto on February 10 and the French Baroque ensemble Les Talens Lyriques with Lully’s Tragédie en Musique Phaëton on March 8.
Gustavo Dudamel leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic on their first Barbican International Associate Residency. These include two European premieres on March 14—a new work by Unsuk Chin and Joseph Pereira’s Concerto for Percussion and Chamber Orchestra.
You may also want to watch:
Also receiving its European premiere is John Adams’ oratorio The Gospel According to the Other Mary on March 16.
The LA Phil also stages a three-day international symposium at the Barbican on the role of music in society and its potential for social change, March 13–15, which includes master-classes, conference and an open rehearsal conducted by Dudamel.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
Peruvian tenor Juan Diego Flórez is in residence with a recital on April 24 and a concert with the London Symphony Orchestra on April 21.