Bethnal Green cafe brings world music and films with month-long festival in March
Bethnal Green’s Gallery Cafe will take visitors around the world in 30 days in March, at least in terms of music and cinema.
As part of its first-ever world music festival, the not-for-profit cafe in Old Ford Road, part of charity settlement St Margaret’s House, will host concerts, film screenings, talks and workshops with an impressive variety of UK-based performers.
Music from Japan, across the Middle East to Brittany and beyond will be performed, including The Melange Collective and their range of North African, Balkan and gypsy tunes.
The Bossalada Trio, an acoustic Brazilian ensemble, will mix bossa nova with traditional songs on March 11 before chamber group The Sefiroth Ensemble fills the venue with pieces dating back to the Medieval period on March 12.
A musician from the School of Oriental and African Studies, Joe Browning, will play several traditional pieces on a shakukachi bamboo flute on March 18 and there is a chance to hear award-winning Indian violinist Nandini Muthuswamy on March 25.
You may also want to watch:
Throughout the month, the cafe will also be screening free films including Buena Vista Social Club, The Pianist and Kanyini and there will be workshops on subjects from baby massage to learning to play the didgeridoo.
Tickets to all performances are �5.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
A full list of events is available at thegallerycafe.wordpress.com or call 020 8980 2092 for further information.