Boishakhi Mela 2018: Headliners announced for Bethnal Green festival expected to attract 40,000 people
- Credit: Archant
The headline acts for the biggest Bengali event outside of south Asia have been announced.
The Boishakhi Mela event in Weavers Fields, Bethnal Green, will feature music, dance, theatre, floats, poetry and food and is expected to attract 40,000 people.
Chirkutt, accompanied by folk singer Ashik, will be coming over from Bangladesh to headline the festival.
There will also be a musical procession led by a model tiger, elephant and peacock, which has been newly made for the 2018 celebrations.
Judith St John, divisional director of leisure and culture said: “Tower Hamlets offers the best of London in one borough and the annual Boishakhi Mela attracts thousands of visitors not only from the local area but also from across the UK.”
You may also want to watch:
The free event takes place on July 1. To find out about having your own stall at the event, call 0207 364 7926.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger