Classic movie posters mocking Brexit pasted on wall in Brick Lane
- Credit: JEFF MOORE
The prime minister has been mocked as part of a series of Brexit inspired film posters pasted to a wall.
The five iconic movie posters which appeared in Brick Lane, Bethnal Green, have had mentions of Europe removed by the Los Angeles based artist Fernando Reza and replaced with British references.
In one, an image of Theresa May is plastered across a Union Jack with the words ‘The Miserable’ underneath in a cheeky take on the 2012 romantic drama, Les Miserables.
Another in the tongue-in-cheek campaign from outdoor cinema firm, Rooftop Film Club, renames the 1953 rom-com Roman Holiday, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, as Romford Holiday.
Rooftop Film Club founder, Gerry Cottle Jnr., said: “We live for great film and these posters illustrate just how shocking the film industry would be without the influence of our friends in Europe.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s easy to forget the impact Europe has had on cinematic culture - so many wonderful films have been set in beautiful locations such as Rome, Salzburg and Florence.
“With these posters, we’ve tried to envisage a world that no one wants... The Sound of Music with a rainy Stonehenge
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
backdrop? We say, ‘No thanks!’”
Anyone who stumbles across the posters is encouraged to take a pic and tag @rooftopfilmclub #RooftopFilmClub