Britain's Got Bhangra at Stratford's Theatre Royal
HAVING made its name creating productions like the award-winning Jimmy Cliff biography The Harder They Come, the Theatre Royal Stratford East is back with another ground-breaking new show. A creative team has been assembled to bring an authentic Bhangra f
HAVING made its name creating productions like the award-winning Jimmy Cliff biography The Harder They Come, the Theatre Royal Stratford East is back with another ground-breaking new show.
A creative team has been assembled to bring an authentic Bhangra flavour to Britain's Got Bhangra.
Known to many in the music industry as 'The Beat Guru' Sumeet Chopra is the composer for the new show, bringing his unique flavour and distinctive style to the soundtrack of this show.
The legendary composer has written music for many Bollywood movies and collaborated with several bhangra stars including the Dhol Foundation and Punjabi MC.
You may also want to watch:
Most recently Sumeet has been composing for The Panjabi Hit Squad who are regarded by many as the originators of the modern Urban Asian Fusion sound.
Plucked from the glamorous world of Bollywood, critically acclaimed choreographer Andy Kumar has flown in to the UK especially to work on Britain's Got Bhangra taking time out from filming his hit TV shows in India, Dare 2 Date and Get Gorgeous.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
He has choreographed epic dance sequences for several Bollywood films, including Page 3 and Aloo Chat, and is now bringing his flamboyant style to this unique production.
Britain's Got Bhangra charts the huge success of Bhangra music and its influence on British culture - from traditional dohl drums to RnB mash-ups and features a live five-piece band.
The story is set in the early 80s. Margaret Thatcher iss in power and a new soap called EastEnders is on the TV.
Twinkle has just arrived in London fresh from the fields of the Punjab and isn't too impressed with the cold weather and unfriendly people but he is determined to rise to the top with his original brand of Bhangra.
Britain's Got Bhangra starts at the Theatre Royal Stratford East on Saturday and runs until May 16.
Tickets cost �12-�20 from www.stratfordeast.com or 020 8534 0310.