Mama Christmas joining Santa to switch on lights in ‘Chrisp-mas Street’ Market
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Market traders are getting ready to transform Poplar’s Chrisp Street into a winter wonderland for children when the magical Christmas lights come to life later this month.
Santa and Mama Christmas throw the big switch at 6pm on November 29.
But the Friday festivities begin earlier, at 2pm, with craft activities for the family.
The big draw is Santa's Grotto, but this year with a difference.
Mama Christmas joins Old Man Cringle to comply with gender equalities legislation, so to speak.
You may also want to watch:
They'll be handing out presents from sleigh. Children can also look into the Elves' workshop.
There's a giant snow globe for family snapshots, while traders are running a craft market with stalls selling handmade presents.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
A talent show on stage has performances from school choirs and the Poplar Singers as well as east London's talented young musicians.
The Yultide festival organised by Poplar Harca housing association, which runs Chrisp Street Market, includes an ice rink this year.