Mama Christmas joining Santa to switch on lights in ‘Chrisp-mas Street’ Market
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Market traders are getting ready to transform Poplar’s Chrisp Street into a winter wonderland for children when the magical Christmas lights come to life later this month.
Santa and Mama Christmas throw the big switch at 6pm on November 29.
But the Friday festivities begin earlier, at 2pm, with craft activities for the family.
The big draw is Santa's Grotto, but this year with a difference.
Mama Christmas joins Old Man Cringle to comply with gender equalities legislation, so to speak.
You may also want to watch:
They'll be handing out presents from sleigh. Children can also look into the Elves' workshop.
There's a giant snow globe for family snapshots, while traders are running a craft market with stalls selling handmade presents.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
A talent show on stage has performances from school choirs and the Poplar Singers as well as east London's talented young musicians.
The Yultide festival organised by Poplar Harca housing association, which runs Chrisp Street Market, includes an ice rink this year.