David Bailey teaming up with Bruce Weber for smartphone exhibition in Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
Legendary East End snapper David Bailey is coming home for an exhibition featuring images he took using a smartphone.
Bailey, who was born in Leytonstone and grew up in East Ham, has teamed up for the first time with long-time friend and world-renowned photographer Bruce Weber.
Weber is a famous American fashion photographer who has published his work in Vanity Fair, Vogue, and Rolling Stone.
Bailey, 75, is most famous for capturing the heady days of “Swinging London” during the 1960s.
The two internationally-respected photographers were both flown to Harlem in New York, to make new friends and photograph the vibe on the streets using only a Nokia Lumia 1020 mobile phone which is not available in the UK yet.
You may also want to watch:
They were taken to iconic sites in the famous community and the exhibition is billed as a celebration of the beauty of urban life.
The new phone has an in-built 41 megapixel camera and this is the first time Weber has used a digital camera of any kind while this is also a debut exhibition of this type for Bailey.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
The aim of the manufacturers was to set a new benchmark for mobile photography with the new smartphone by including a camera-grip sleeve so the phone is easier to hold while taking moving shots.
It also aims to simplify controls normally available to professional photographers such as long-lense zooming technology and an in-built editing suite.
The free Weber and Bailey exhibition will be shown at Nicholls and Clarke Building, 3-10 Shoreditch High Street, Shoreditch, E1 6PG from Friday September 13 to Saturday September 21.
More details can be found at www.facebook.com/nokia.uk.