Bavaria fun in Bethnal Green at Oktoberfest East
- Credit: Archant
Behind an unassuming warehouse door lies an Oktoberfest extravaganza.
Alpine scenes and steins galore instantly transport you from Bethnal Green’s The Oval to Bavaria.
The all-important beer is brewed by none other than Munich powerhouse Hacker-Pschorr – which is the official Oktoberfest beer no less and exclusive to this festival.
Street food includes currywurst and schnitzel complete with the cheeky twist you’d expect from The Art of Dining. Mango ketchup is a mainstay and they even stock a savoury pretzel with beer cheese dip.
Live entertainment is provided by The Hackney Colliery Band, a nine piece ensemble who play everything from Kelis to Kanye and Adele. Our group found them a little too loud but there were plenty of people dancing.
You may also want to watch:
Postcards printed with quiz questions and drinking game ideas were a lovely touch and fostered the jovial atmosphere.
It’s the kind of place where everyone gets on board with the theme and you find yourself singing songs in German hours after you planned to leave.
- 1 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Embleton 'frustrated' with late penalty which led to Bradford defeat
- 3 Why rogue East End landlords had to pay back £200,000 to renters
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton not concerned about current formation
- 5 Leyton Orient slip down the table after late defeat to Bradford City
- 6 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 7 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 8 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 9 Shamima Begum will find out this week if she can return from Syria
- 10 East Londoners are being targeted by violent blackmail phone calls
Although prices are a little steep – entry alone costs £15, with “full package” tickets including a three-course meal and unlimited beer coming in at £75pp – it’s undoubtedly fun.
Oktoberfest East runs until Saturday. For more information, visit oktoberfest-east.com