East End showbiz photographer's exhibition at the O2
IN the period when Britain dominated rock and roll, one East Ender was there to document it all. Harry Hammond, who was born in Bow in 1920, became Britain s leading showbiz photographer and captured the definitive images of every leading British musician
IN the period when Britain dominated rock and roll, one East Ender was there to document it all.
Harry Hammond, who was born in Bow in 1920, became Britain's leading showbiz photographer and captured the definitive images of every leading British musician, as well as visiting Americans.
From The Beatles to Cliff Richard, Dusty Springfield to Lonnie Donegan, from Acker Bilk to Shirley Bassey, Hammond was there.
Drawing on the Victoria and Albert Museum's archive 'The Birth of British Rock' in the O2 Bubble tells the story of how Britain was at the centre of this cultural revolution and shows how East Ender Harry Hammond was the only one who was invited into the dressing rooms and studios of these emerging icons.
You may also want to watch:
Sir Cliff Richard, subject of many of the photographs in this exhibition, said: "Paparazzi seem intent to present their subjects in the worst possible light. In the days of Harry Hammond, photographers only wanted to show the best of you. I guess that's why it was always such a pleasure to have Harry Hammond."
Halfway to Paradise: The Birth of British Rock, by Harry Hammond is on at the British Music Experience at the O2 from today (Friday).
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Tickets cost �12 from www.britishmusicexperience.com