England champ Darren Cheesman kicks off Saturday open day by Wapping hockey club
England International Darren Cheesman kicks off a public open day being staged by the Wapping hockey club in London’s East End today.
The club is throwing its doors open to all adults who want to give hockey a try—whether they are complete beginners, seasoned professionals or haven’t played since school.
It is being held at Wapping’s John Orwell centre in Tench Street, off Green Bank, from 10am to 4pm.
Cheesman starts it all off with a short demonstration of his skills, followed by men’s trials till 12 noon, then social mixed hockey 12.30-1.30pm and women’s trials 2-4pm.
Cheesman, born in Hackney, is a member of the England and Great Britain teams who was also in the national Under 21s squad that won Silver at the 2007 Junior Olympic Games in Sydney.
You may also want to watch:
The club’s publicist Vicky Morphew explained: “It’s our policy this year is to encourage people into sport.
“We’re building on east London’s Olympics legacy and following the inspiring bronze medal the women’s hockey team achieved at the 2012 Games.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
The club is currently running dedicated beginners training session for those who have never played the sport, or those getting back into it after a long absence.
Rail: Wapping. Membership details can be emailed on email@example.com.